Free Software UK

Discussion about Free Software here in the UK

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-10 11:11:24

mjr
Website

Restrict posting links for new users

Is this site using FluxBB 1.5? If so, restricting new users posting links may cut the spamming down.

http://fluxbb.org/docs/v1.5/antispam#counter-measures but please don't use audio-visual disability discrimination like reCaptcha (which is misnamed because it's not a CAPTCHA).

#2 2016-11-10 21:09:53

Xylon
Administrator
Website

Re: Restrict posting links for new users

I don't mind deleting all the spam manually TBH, but I guess it would be better if the Atom feed wasn't constantly gorged with spam.

I don't wanna discriminate against new users by stopping them posting links either though...

What do you think about Stop Forum Spam? https://stopforumspam.com/

There's no plugin for it but I might be able to write one.

Forum Founder and Boss. View my blog and submit to my FS success stories platform.

Fellow of the FSFE (#3509)

#3 2016-11-10 21:18:13

Xylon
Administrator
Website

BTW I might be able to give you SSH access to the server if you want to help with sysadmin. As long as we document all the changes me make or use a VCS or something.

Forum Founder and Boss. View my blog and submit to my FS success stories platform.

#4 2016-11-11 10:44:28

mjr
Website

I don't feel it's serious discrimination to restrict link posting until at least after they've said hello properly (and not with the Polish dictionary definition of office, which is what I think one says) but it's your call. Deleting the spam manually doesn't seem to be keeping up with the spammers.

Stop Forum Spam looks OK at first glance, although the database doesn't seem to be under any free licence and it'd need a bit o keeping an eye on, lest it goes mad and blocks a large a UK ISP.

I've used blogspam.net in the past, but I don't know how well it applies to forums.

I'm not keen to take on more sysadmin just yet because I'm fairly busy and waiting to see how this forum develops.  I'm fine with git if you want to prepare for later help, though.  If you're running a debian variant, etckeeper seems a good way to git track configuration changes in /etc

#5 2016-11-11 22:45:00

Xylon
Administrator
Website

Well have no fear; one of these days I will grow tired of deleting the spam manually and set up a solution.

#6 2016-11-12 14:15:18

Xylon
Administrator
Website

OK I've done as you suggested. Users with less than 4 posts now cannot post links.

Also I deleted the 2800 users that have registered an account but not posted anything.

Board footer

Free Software UK forum - founded by Joseph Graham, hosted by Mythic Beasts, Powered by FluxBB