Free Software UK

Discussion about Free Software here in the UK

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-06 10:40:21

mjr
Website

User numbers?

So it seems like it's been a while since the last post. Are there enough users to kick-start this forum (it seems only 8 people have ever posted, although there's 11 pages of registered users), is more promotion required or is something else needed?

#2 2016-12-06 21:07:28

Xylon
Administrator
Website

Re: User numbers?

OK let me give you a personal rant on what my vision is for Free Software in the UK:

I want to teach Free Software to the normal people. I don't care whether they embrace, it or reject it, or are indifferent to it. But I want people to know about it.

The other thing I want to do is make sure that there is a support structure for people who want to learn Free Software in the UK. That is the purpose of this forum. And the forum is already succeeding at making support available even if no-one is using it.

So what we need isn't publicity for the forum, it's publicity for Free Software.

When I get round to it I might make promotional materials and give then out locally. And when I get a job that doesn't require me to work evenings I will try to start local group or something.

There's lot's of Free Software hackers in the UK (F-Droid and Ministry of Freedom are based in UK and I know OpenBSD, Debian etc have devs here). But we have no outreach to normal people. Except in Manchester. Free Software Manchester is great I believe. I'll go visit them some day and ask them how they spread Free Software to the masses.

As a side note the reason I publish so many "philosophical" articles on Free Software on my blog is as a sort of practice to help me learn how to explain Free Software to normal people.

I haven't tried contacting the F-Droid peeps or Debian peeps about this forum. Perhaps I should.

Anyway I'm not sure I answered your question but hopefully I wrote something useful. And thanks for making an effort to be present here you've been great.

Forum Founder and Boss. View my blog and submit to my FS success stories platform.

Fellow of the FSFE (#3509)

#3 2016-12-06 21:12:44

Xylon
Administrator
Website

Of course the forum isn't only for normies, it's for elite people too. But elite hackers already have great ways to communicate which is probably why there's little interest in this forum at the moment.

Forum Founder and Boss. View my blog and submit to my FS success stories platform.

Fellow of the FSFE (#3509)

#4 2016-12-12 10:41:04

MadHatter
Website

> When I get round to it I might make promotional materials and give then out locally.

The FSFE can be of use, here, as they're wildly keen to send out a ton of such materials.  I asked them for a plussy sticker for my new laptop a few months back, and instead got an envelope stuffed with stickers, postcards and leaflets, plus a couple of big posters.  You might start there!

Fellow of the FSFE (#1499)

Board footer

Free Software UK forum - founded by Joseph Graham, hosted by Mythic Beasts, Powered by FluxBB