Free Software UK

Discussion about Free Software here in the UK

You are not logged in.

Login with widget uLogin

#1 2016-12-29 12:57:16

Blue_Sea

Installing Trisquel along side windows 10

For practical reasons I still have to do some of my computer work on Windows.
I have a windows 10 and want to intall the latest Trisquel along side it.
I have three hard discs and want to install trisquel on one of them.
However Trisquel's intallation application cannot see windows 10, something that didn't happen with windows 7.
Does anyone know how it can be done?

#2 2017-01-01 18:04:46

Xylon
Administrator
Website

Re: Installing Trisquel along side windows 10

I don't know how to do this. But I don't like dual-booting with Windows anyway because Windows update has been known to trash OSes it's installed along-side. All I can suggest is either:

• Make a disk-clone backup, wipe windows, install Trisquel, and re-install windows in a VM.

• Have two computers, one for Windows and one for trisquel.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Forum Founder and Boss. View my blog and submit to my FS success stories platform.

Fellow of the FSFE (#3509)

#3 2017-01-01 22:59:49

Blue_Sea

Re: Installing Trisquel along side windows 10

Thank you, a bit difficult because the windows was preinstalled when the computer was bought and I don't have the keys, even though later it was updated to windows 10 but I still don't have any keys because windows 10 was free at the time.
Two computers is a good idea but does not help continuous work on common files unless a third shared disc system is set up which would come with additional costs.
I have an idea to add switches to hard discs to be able to switch them off at start-up which should be a less costly solution. This way I should be able to start Trisquel without the presence of the windows disc. The computer has three hard discs; each operating system can be given its own hard.
Happy New Year

Board footer

Free Software UK forum - founded by Joseph Graham, hosted by Mythic Beasts, Powered by FluxBB