Free Software UK

Discussion about Free Software here in the UK

You are not logged in.

Login with widget uLogin

#1 2016-11-17 09:56:03

mjr
Website

Promoting Jabber / XMPP use

Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP, also known as its earlier name Jabber) is basically a useful multiserver messaging system which can store messages.  Think web or internet relay chat (IRC) which stores messages until you connect next time, or a free/libre multi-provider Whatsapp-style messaging service.  It can also support phone/video calling, although I think not all clients or providers do.

There's choice of apps and of providers but that's not always a good thing, as it makes it more difficult to recommend things.  Proprietary services offer a take-it-or-leave-it no choice approach which people seem to find simpler.

How can we promote this sort of service best and XMPP in particular?  What XMPP clients on phones work well?  Are there good web clients?  What providers are easy to sign up for and not evil? What else am I forgetting?

#2 2016-11-19 18:39:07

Xylon
Administrator
Website

Re: Promoting Jabber / XMPP use

Well I've never tried XMPP... should do so I guess.

Forum Founder and Boss. View my blog and submit to my FS success stories platform.

Fellow of the FSFE (#3509)

#3 2016-11-23 16:14:09

mjr
Website

Xylon wrote:

Well I've never tried XMPP... should do so I guess.

Let me know if you'd like to chat as a test. I'm not going to publish my ID just yet, though.

So far, it seems like gajim is the easiest desktop client that I've tested but I've not tried its OTR (Off The Record) yet because my OTR contact hasn't been online at the same time and I think I may need to install some optional plugin.  It looks like it can do audio/video calling, but I've no-one to test that with yet.

On Android/F-Droid, beem is slick and has OTR (Off The Record), but can't do multi-user chat/conference (MUC) as far as I can tell.  Tigase can do MUC, but not OTR that I can see.

#4 2016-11-30 11:57:09

mjr
Website

I should have mentioned Conversations for Android (fairly slick and has OTR but fairly large) and I think Pidgin on Gnome can do XMPP too but I don't remember if it does OTR - anyone know?

#5 2017-02-14 17:54:07

mjr
Website

Some time last year, I sent myself a link to https://blog.windfluechter.net/content/ … and-others which discusses some similar topics.

#6 2017-03-10 13:47:29

bashrc

I'd recommend using the Conversations app on mobile or on a desktop system Pidgin with OTR or Lurch or Gajim with the OTR or OMEMO plugin.

https://conversations.im
https://github.com/gkdr/lurch

You can also proxy those through Tor (Orbot on mobile) and that will provide some level of protection for the metadata. You can even set up XMPP servers to run from an onion address.

#7 2017-03-13 10:26:56

mjr
Website

I'm currently using beem on the phone (OK for texting and can do OTR - no file transfer or picture support, sadly) and Gajim on the desktop (only drawback so far has been clicking the system tray icon only minimises it if it's focused - that's pretty minor once you realise it). I think I've used Pidgen in the past without problem.

I didn't like Conversations because I felt it misleads people into thinking they must pay for their hosted service within six months or uninstall the app.

#8 2017-03-13 10:44:43

Xylon
Administrator
Website

Someone recommended restroshare to me on IRC: http://retroshare.net/

It's Free Software apparently

Forum Founder and Boss. View my blog and submit to my FS success stories platform.

Fellow of the FSFE (#3509)

Board footer

Free Software UK forum - founded by Joseph Graham, hosted by Mythic Beasts, Powered by FluxBB