Discussion about Free Software here in the UK

You are not logged in.

Login with widget uLogin

#1 2016-11-04 15:39:12

Xylon
Administrator
Website

How to get a phone running mostly Free Software

1. Using the CyanogenMod devices page, find a phone that's well supported by CyanogenMod. Buy it from your favourite phone store.

2. Put cyanogenmod on it using the instructions on the Cyanogenmod site. Better not to install "Google Apps" because they're proprietary.

3. Go to phone's Settings > Security and check "unknown sources". Using the phone's web browser, visit f-droid.org to download and install F-Droid.

4. Now install some cool apps from F-Droid and enjoy!

Forum Founder and Boss. View my blog and submit to my FS success stories platform.

Fellow of the FSFE (#3509)

#2 2016-11-07 10:20:39

mjr
Website

Re: How to get a phone running mostly Free Software

That's basically what I did. Has anyone tried the other systems like Replicant?

#3 2016-12-02 07:35:56

MadHatter
Website

It's what I do, too; I've never found a need for anything more automated than the steps Xylon outlines.  Been using CM ever since my late, lamented OpenMoko phone became completely outclassed and was retired to a drawer.

Fellow of the FSFE (#1499)

#4 2017-04-13 11:22:46

J05HYYY

I have a Nexus S running Replicant 4. Hopefully Replicant 6 will be arriving soon. Unfortunately my Nexus S is a bit old and unlikely to be supported for the time being (not presently being worked on), so I'll probably end up buying a new phone.

There is some work being done on the LG Optimus Black. As far as I am aware there is an effort to get it using u-boot and a mainline kernel. If the efforts on this phone come into fruition, I'll probably end up buying one of those for use with Replicant 6.

Edit: I am unable to post links yet, but if you search "mission impossible hardening android security and privacy" you will find a link to a torproject article which goes into some detail about securing android/cyanogenmod.

Last edited by J05HYYY (2017-04-13 11:27:23)

Board footer

Free Software UK forum - founded by Joseph Graham, hosted by Mythic Beasts, Powered by FluxBB